Tuesday, November 19, 2013

And the perfect diet is... (drum roll, please...)

There is no perfect diet. What??? Nope. Not Paleo, not South Beach, not Zone, not Macrobiotic...

The thing is: there's no "one-size-fits-all" diet. Each person is unique, with highly individualized nutritional requirements. This is called bio-individuality and it is the basis for (and why I love) my health coach training and my nutrition philosophy.

I felt the need to start this blog with this post because I get the question all too often: "what diet do you follow?" And I want to make clear from the get-go that what one eats is not necessarily what you should or shouldn't. Getting to know your own body is an essential step in staying healthy! 



What affects your personal diet?
Anatomy
Metabolism
Body composition
Cell structure
Age
Lifestyle....and of course...


Genetics

If many generations of your ancestors from Scandinavia were accustomed to eating dairy on a daily basis, it’s natural that your body will be able to assimilate dairy foods. Most traditional African communities did not regularly consume milk products, by contrast, so it makes sense that a lot of people of African descent today are lactose intolerant.

Is there a diet that works for you?? foods that you are sensitive to?? foods that are great for you? 
I'd love to hear from you! Comment below and let me know.

***And come back on Thursday for my all time favorite, delicious, (detoxifying) soup recipe!***

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I have always been sensitive to really cold, sugary foods. I can tell right away when my body is rejecting those foods because I can feel my lungs "clogging up." Soon thereafter, I begin to cough. I've also been sensitive to fried foods. I agree that one should see what works for their body type and heredity and develop a healthy plan from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting...does that happen with ice cream or what kind of cold, sugary foods? Dairy and fried foods are very important to eliminate when one has a cold, they increase production of phlegm, so you might just be more sensitive in general to these. Good thing you are paying attention! :)

      Delete
  2. This is great info! I have struggled all my life with nasal allergies and sinus infections and for years now I've managed them very successfully with acupuncture treatment. However, lately I'm noticing that I am getting allergies whenever I drink red wine and some types of beers. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! ;) Do you know if there are specific foods that trigger the nasal allergies? (besides now the wine and beer). People don't realize, but almost always (unless environmental like pollen or dogs, cats, etc) nasal allergies like that are related to a food sensitivity. An elimination diet would be great for that. Let's talk!! :)

      Delete